Want to Eat Bread After the Mold Has Been Cut Off? Here’s Why You Should Never Do It

April 20, 2019 Updated: April 25, 2019

Moldy old dough doesn’t look very appetizing, but surprisingly, many people just cut off the mold on the bread and eat the rest. How dangerous can this be? Mold that is active can produce toxins in the food it is in, and that bread you just cut the moldy part off could still be harboring the roots of the hyphae, only you can’t see it.

Bread is not the only food susceptible to mold. Cheese, jams, yoghurt, fruits, luncheon meat, etc. can get affected even when stored properly.

Illustration – Pixabay | Robert-Owen-Wahl 

Most molds are also heat resistant, so toasting a moldy bread won’t work.

“If you can see a mould growing, there can be other microbes such as bacteria and yeast in the food as well. It’s really not worth making yourself sick,” Dr. Ailsa Hocking of CSIRO Agriculture and Food told ABC News.

Dr. Hocking says there are two factors to consider when trying to assess whether or not food exposed to mold is safe to eat. The first is “moisture content of the food” and the second is “how densely it’s structured.”

Due to the hard density and low moisture of a piece of hard cheese, mold can only survive on the surface; whereas a spot of mold on a nectarine, which has high moisture content, means it is most likely affected inside.

So, the answer to the question if it is safe to eat bread although a portion may have mold would be a no.

According to The Insider, if one slice of the loaf has mold, you should dispose of the whole loaf, because there is no such thing as a “clean part of the loaf.”

Illustration – Shutterstock | kongsak sumano

Some molds that frequently grow on bread can be deadly to humans or make one seriously ill. It is best not to gamble with your family’s or your own health.

Recommended