Vhong Navarro has been getting death threats through anonymous text messages that threaten the actor, his former wife, his girlfriend, and his sons, following his getting beaten and allegedly blackmailed last week, Navarro’s lawyer said Friday.
The threats come as the situation involving Navarro, Deniece Cornejo, and Cedric Lee has swelled into a huge national controversy.
Cornejo and Lee have been leveled with a string of criminal charges, including illegal detention, in the case, after they allegedly set him up and tried to blackmail him by forcing him at gunpoint to falsely admit that he had raped Cornejo.
Now Cornejo’s lawyer Dennis Manalo said in a televised interview that Navarro has been getting anonymous text messages that contain threats.
“We have been advised that this matter should be referred to the bureau investigating the case so that they can study how it can be used for the case and determine who these people sending these messages are,” he said.
Manalo also said that an unknown man visited Navarro’s residence and asked the gate to be opened so he could speak to Navarro, a move that was regarded as suspicious.
There have been rumors that Navarro is trying to get into the Witness Protection Program following the situation.