LANGLEY, B.C.—The Greater Vancouver Zoo says a two-year-old girl was in an area not authorized for public access when she was bitten by a black bear.
The zoo says in a statement that it complies with all safety standards to ensure the well-being of visitors, adding that barriers are in place to maintain a safe distance from the animals.
Menita Prasad, the zoo’s animal care manager, says its team is shocked and saddened by Monday’s incident and they are gathering more information.
The British Columbia Conservation Officer Service says a two-year-old girl was bitten on the arm by a bear at the Greater Vancouver Zoo on Monday.
The service says it received information Monday night that a child was injured due to a bite by a black bear at the zoo in Langley.
Murray Smith, an inspector for the service in the Lower Mainland, says in a statement that the girl’s arm was bitten.
BC Emergency Health Services says it received a call just before 7 p.m. Monday and a patient was taken by air ambulance to hospital in serious condition.
Smith says officers from the service and the RCMP are investigating.
— Tanya Beja (@TBejaGlobal) August 6, 2019
The black bear enclosure at the zoo has been closed to the public until further notice but Smith says no animals will be euthanized as a result of the incident.
Prasad says the zoo’s primary concern is with the injured child and her family, and it is gathering information with the investigating agencies involved.
We can confirm that the incident occurred at our black bear enclosure and that the child was bitten by one of the bears while she was in an unauthorized area to the public. (4/5)
— Greater Vancouver Zoo (@GVZooChat) August 6, 2019