Supermom Delivers Her Own Twins in Moving Car While Giving Husband Directions to the Hospital

May 5, 2019 Updated: May 11, 2019

The hours leading up to childbirth are hectic in the best of circumstances, and terrifying at worst. And it can get even more complicated and unpredictable when an expectant mother is giving birth to twins.

For one mom in Marietta, Ohio, even the most panic-inducing situation imaginable was handled with the kind of cool-headedness and bravery that deserves a medal.

Dacia Pittman, already a mom of two boys, 8 and 5, was pregnant with two more kids, twins, when she started to feel some slight pressure and cramping.

Posted by Marcus Giffin on Tuesday, May 22, 2018

According to Pittman, the feeling reminded her of the contractions she’d had leading up to the delivery of her youngest, but these ones weren’t even strong enough to be Braxton-Hicks (“false” contractions), she thought. Knowing that twins are a different situation, though, the expectant mom told her husband and her two boys that it was time to head to the hospital in case she was truly in labor.

“I woke my husband up and said, ‘Hey, I think we need to go to the hospital,’” Pittman told Today.

So, early that morning, they all jumped in the jeep, called her sister to meet them to pick up the boys, and hit the interstate for the hospital—but not even five minutes into the drive, something unexpected happened.

Posted by Dacia Pittman on Saturday, March 24, 2018

“We got onto the interstate and not even five minutes out, I could feel a head coming out. I said ‘Oh. my. lord.’ I told my husband, ‘Babe, I don’t think we’re going to make it,’” Pittman told the Marietta Times.

That was when things could have quickly spiraled out of control. Luckily, Pittman was an absolute champion—and while singlehandedly delivering her own twins in the jeep, one by one, she managed to keep giving her husband directions to get to the hospital safe and sound!

“I showed him how to get there,” she said.

A trip from Caldwell to Marietta turned into a wild ride recently for a local couple, who began the trip to Marietta…

Posted by The Marietta Times on Monday, November 19, 2018

Posted by Marcus Giffin on Saturday, November 17, 2018

While “going 70 or 80 down the interstate,” according to Pittman, the parents had the boys scoot over in the back so that Mom could recline in the passenger seat and would have room to push.

Her third son, Everett, was born at 6:10 a.m., just 20 minutes after getting in the car. Then came his sister Amelia, 10 minutes later at 6:20. Pittman said that she was busy hollering at her husband to keep him headed the right way and driving quickly the whole time—but the delivery was luckily fairly easy, with just a few pushes needed to get each baby out.

Posted by Dacia Pittman on Saturday, November 24, 2018

For the older brothers in the backseat, Pittman initially had them cover themselves with a blanket so they wouldn’t have to watch the chaos of their mom giving birth in the front. But when they heard their younger siblings crying, they asked if they could look—and got a glimpse of Everett and Amelia much earlier than anticipated!

Everyone is happy and healthy now, thankfully, and although they made it through the ordeal rather easily, you can bet they’re not hoping to repeat the remarkable experience again any time soon!

Posted by Dacia Pittman on Saturday, November 24, 2018

Recollecting the eventful delivery, Pittman said: “I wanted healthy, good size-babies. I didn’t want to deal with the NICU. My big fear was having a C-section. I didn’t have a C-section but I wasn’t expecting to have them outside the hospital.”

After being a mother of four kids, the supermom admitted, “I’m done. I got my little girl.”

“Four kids is enough. My luck I would have boys,” she added.

Posted by Dacia Pittman on Friday, December 28, 2018