Curry Red Lentil Soup
Courtesy of chefs and co-owners Ben Daitz and Ratha Chaupoly
Num Pang, NYC
1 jumbo carrot
1/2 fennel bulb
3 celery stalks
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 quart cilantro stems and leaves, separated
Salt and pepper
1 quart red lentils
8 cups water
1. In a food processor, pulse all vegetables, garlic and ginger.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, add vegetable oil, cumin and coriander, and cook until fragrant.
3. Add chopped vegetables and sweat for about five minutes.
4. Add chopped cilantro stems and lentils. Slightly toast the lentils, and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Cover with water and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently. As the lentils absorb the water, add more if necessary.
6. Cook until lentils turn yellow and soft.
7. Add cilantro leaves and puree with an immersion blender until smooth (add more water if soup is too thick).
8. Check seasoning, garnish, and serve.