We’ve never realized how easy it was to make your own butter til we tried it! Plus, we got buttermilk out of it too, which are great for pancakes and biscuits!
Cultured Butter & buttermilk
2 cups pasteurized heavy cream (DO NOT use ultra pasteurized)
2 tbs yogurt
1. Mix heavy cream and yogurt. Cover with cloth, and let it sit for 12-24 hours.
2. Before whipping the mixture, let it chill for 30 minutes.
3. The mixture will give huge splatters, so cover your mixer with plastic wrap. Whip the mixture until butter is separated from liquid (this is where the splatter happens).
4. On a large bowl, place a strainer, then a cheesecloth in the strainer. Strain the produced liquid (buttermilk), and squeeze the lump of butter to get excess liquid out.
5. Place the butter in a new bowl and pour a little bit of ice water over it. Knead the butter, and drain water. Repeat this process until water comes out clear (about 6 times).
6. For salted butter, add about 1/2 tsp salt. Squeeze the butter to mix the salt in.