Last week, we visited the set of China Uncensored and made a special delivery of Dong Pu Rou (braised pork belly).
A great recipe for the upcoming Chinese New Year! My aunt will always serve this every Chinese New Year. Never missed a single year!
Braised Pork Belly
2 lbs pork belly
2 tbs oil
6 stalks scallions, cut into 3-inch lengths
6 cloves garlic, minced
2-inches peeled ginger, cut into slices
5 tbs light soy sauce
4 tbs dark soy sauce
7 tbs Shaoxing Wine (or apple juice/white grape juice for non-alcoholic substitution)
water, enough to cover the pork belly
80 g rock sugar, lightly crushed
1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the pork belly and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Drain, rinse and pat dry. Cut the meat into 2 1/2-inch squares.
3. Heat up an oiled pot. stir-fry the ginger and scallions until fragrant. Pour in the water and boil for 10 minutes.
4. Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and wine, enough water to cover the pork belly and boil in high heat. Mix in rock sugar, pork pieces, skin side down and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and braise pork for 1-1/2 – 2 hours.
Music: “Clear Air” by Kevin MacLeod
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0