Family Witnesses ‘Miracle’ When Omaha Dad Wakes Up After Life Support Switched Off

Former sports announcer experiences near-death experience after what doctors called a stroke
January 8, 2019 Updated: January 8, 2019

It’s easy to understand why some folks might prefer having the plug pulled than end up hooked up on life support in a hospital bed later in life. That’s exactly the sentiment Nebraska man T. Scott Marr had once expressed to his kids—yet he likely never expected that such a painful decision would come when it did.

Even less did they expect the “miracle” that happened afterward—after the “stroke”—but that “miracle” was likely the best early Christmas gift they could have asked for.

Marr, a former sports announcer and father of four, was rushed to the Methodist Hospital in Omaha after he was found lying unresponsive in bed on Dec. 12, 2018. He was still breathing.

GoFundMe │ Scott Marr

The 61-year-old dad was put on a breathing machine in the ICU, having been diagnosed with having a stroke. Seeing no improvement, though, doctors feared the worst, and they told the family to bid their farewells.

“We thought that this wasn’t a recoverable process,” said Dr. Rebecca Runge, as it seemed to them that Marr was heading toward “brain death.”

Scott’s daughter Preston Marr recounted the words their dad had once uttered, “He had always said, ‘I never want you guys to see me lying in a hospital bed, lying in a nursing home.’”

Thus, when things seemed most hopeless, the heartwrenching decision was made to switch off the breathing machine. Yet, no one expected what happened next.

The family returned home the next day. They had already started making arrangements for their dad’s funeral; little did they know that Scott had continued breathing, even after the breathing machine had been switched off. When they visited him on Dec. 14, 2018, they witnessed the “miracle.”

“When we got up there, I went in just to talk to him, like I have been this whole time, and said, ‘Hi Dad,’” recalled Preston. “He smiled at me, and I literally thought I was dreaming. It was the craziest moment ever.

“I asked him to move his thumbs, and he slowly moved his thumbs, and I asked him to wiggle his toes, and he wiggled all his toes really slightly.

“I literally had to rub my eyes to make sure it was actually happening.”


Doctors explained that Scott hadn’t, in fact,  had a stroke at all but, rather, a condition called posterior reversible encepthalopathy syndrome—which has various symptoms, and is often related to hypertension.

Scott has since returned home and, with physical therapy, is expected to make a full recovery—all of these outcomes have led his family to dub him the “miracle man” and has given them cause for joyous celebration over the Holidays.

Meanwhile, it has also given Scott cause for reflection.

“I’m not an extremely religious person,” he stated. “I don’t go to church every Sunday, but I do believe in God. I believe with all my heart. And now this is just proof for me that everything I’ve ever heard is true.

“That he loves me. That he’s right there for me. It was pretty much a miracle.”

He also shared with KMTV what might be called a near-death experience that occurred during the two days when he was unconscious, where he said he saw his own father, now deceased, walking along Dodge Street.

“He said, what are you doing here? And I said I’m looking to work and he said there’s no work here, you better get your butt home.” And Marr took that to mean his days among the living weren’t over just yet.

You may also want to watch this video

These parents have a dying daughter – then one day, they receive a phone call about her fate