Contact Lenses Fused to Eyes During BBQ is an Old Urban Legend

January 28, 2014 Updated: July 18, 2015

Rumors going around on Facebook–and years before that–are claiming that one can get blinded for life after looking at a barbecue with contact lenses. The rumors are just a hoax that have been around for years, but they claim one’s contact lenses can fuse to the eyeball.

“A 21 year old girl had worn a pair of contact lenses during a barbecue party. While barbecuing she stared at the fire charcoals continuously for 2-3 minutes,” reads one of the hoaxes. “After a few minutes, She started to scream for help and moved rapidly, jumping up and down. No one in the party knew why she was doing this. Then she was admitted into the hospital, and the doctor said she’ll be blind permanently because of the contact lenses that she had worn.

However, the post offers no more context and there’s no media reports about it.

There’s been different versions of the story, as it’s a long-running urban legend.

According to Hoax-Slayer, there was one in 2006 circulated via e-mail that said, “It happened to a 21 year old guy, he wore a pair of contact lenses during a barbecue party. While, he was barbecuing, he stared at the fire charcoals. After a few seconds, he started to scream for help and moved rapidly, jumping up and down. No one in the party knew why.”

A fact sheet from the American Welding Society says that there’s no substantiated reports of welders with contact lenses getting them fused shut after looking at a weld.

Recommended