6-Year-Old Who Survived Throat Slash Inflicted by Mom Collapses, Dies Months Later

By Venus Upadhayaya, Epoch Times
June 14, 2019 Updated: June 14, 2019

A 6-year-old boy who had his throat slashed “ear to ear” by his mother in April has died after collapsing in his Bronx, New York, school.

The child was standing in the lunch line on the morning of Friday, June 14 when he collapsed. He was rushed to the Lincoln hospital and declared dead, PIX11 reported. The boy’s name has not been released.

“I’m heartbroken by this tragic loss of a student, and my thoughts are with the family and school community,” Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza said via PIX11.

Carranza said Port Morris School will be have guidance counselors available to support students for as long as is needed. He also said the school is cooperating with city agencies as they investigate the circumstances surrounding the child’s death.

The boy and his 2-year-old sister were attacked by their mother, Shanice Martin, 24, in the Morrisania neighborhood of the Bronx, New York, on April 27. Martin used a razor to slash the children’s throat from “ear to ear,” ABC13 reported.

Martin walked to a police precinct after the stabbing and told officers there what she had done, the news site reported.

The children were taken to a hospital, treated, and released. Reports at the time said they were expected to survive.

Martin was charged with assault, child abandonment, endangering the welfare of a child, and weapon possession.

“She used to take medicine in the past,” Martin’s brother Travone Lango at the time told NY Daily News. “She never used to act like that. She was probably under a lot of pressure.”

“She wouldn’t tell us anything about her life,” Lango, 20, said. “She doesn’t tell us anything so we wouldn’t know. She never called us for help.”

“She was a good mom, but I guess she was going through something,” said Lango. “That’s not something that you do to your kids. I don’t care what’s going on with you, you can ask for help. She just took it upon herself to do what she wanted to do and it’s not good.”

Martin was taken to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation and is currently awaiting trial. Her mother had been taking care of her two children.

Father Charged With Murder of 4-Year-Old Son

In Los Angeles, a 24-year-old man has been charged with murdering his 4-year-old son, who died on June 6, after paramedics found him in a critical condition in his home.

Hirwin Calderon-Ordonez faces one felony count each of murder and assault on a child causing death, according to a statement from the LA County District Attorney’s Office.

Justin Sontay-Oxlaj, 4, was allegedly beaten to death by his father on June 6, the prosecutor said. According to the district attorney, Calderon-Ordonez’s bail was set at $2 million.

He faces a possible maximum sentence of 25 years to life in a state prison, if found guilty.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department, Juvenile Division.

The boy’s parents had moved into the home on the 1600 block of East 47th Street a few days before authorities were called to the property in the early hours of June 6, according to ABC7.

They found the boy in critical condition with signs of physical trauma, and transported him to a hospital, where he later died. According to KTLA, when first responders arrived the boy was not breathing.

The Epoch Times reporter Simon Veazey contributed to this report.

Follow Venus on Twitter: @venusupadhayaya
Recommended