As a society, we are pretty good at finding things to complain about, so every once in a while it can be a wonderful thing to stop and realize how lucky we are. Just imagine being a housewife in the 1950s! Not convinced? Read on.
In the spring of 1955, a women’s magazine called Housekeeping Monthly published an informative article for housewives who wished to perform their role to the best of their ability. “The Good Wife’s Guide” listed all of the ways that a wife could (and should!) make her hardworking husband comfortable and happy at the end of a long working day. From cleaning the house to cleaning the kids, from cooking food to listening to every whim of the man in charge, the list is not for the faint-hearted.
So read on, see how society once expected wives to behave, and count yourself lucky that things have changed just a little in the last six decades! Thanks, Little Things, for sharing the exhaustive list, and here are 10 of the best.
1. Prepare a hearty dinner. Most men are hungry at the end of a busy working day, and a home-cooked meal will let your husband know you are prioritizing his needs. Consider making his very favorite dish.
2. Tidy up the home. Gather clutter, hide all evidence of the chaos of the day, and run a dust cloth over table surfaces so that your husband’s dining area is spic and span.
3. Light a fire in the colder months. Your husband will be able to unwind in comfort, and this will enable you to relax, too. Catering to your husband’s comfort is a reward in and of itself.
4. Prepare the children. Make sure your little treasures are appropriately dressed; comb their hair and clean their hands and faces. Instruct them to remain quiet when their father returns home, as he will not want to be disturbed after his long working day.
5. Prepare yourself! Take a short rest immediately before your husband’s return so that you appear bright and refreshed. Touch up your makeup and tidy your hair, and make sure you are attentive. Provide interesting company for him.
6. Create a quiet, peaceful haven. Turn off all electrical equipment and eliminate any potentially irritating background noises, including the children.
7. Greet your husband with a warm smile. Let him know that you are eager to please him! Listen to what he has to say, and remember that his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
8. Make him as comfortable as possible. Perhaps you will invite your husband to lean back in his favorite chair where you can fluff his cushion and remove his shoes. Prepare a cool or warm beverage, as befits his preference.
9. Never complain. It is your husband’s prerogative to come home late, go out to dinner, or other places of recreation without you. Try to understand the pressure he is under and make home a space in which he can relax and rejuvenate.
10. Never question his judgment. Your husband is the master of the house, and you have no right to question him. A good wife always knows her place!
Would you be able to follow these 10 neat and tidy rules, or are you filled with outrage? Oh, how times have changed!